The Huawei Ascent Mate 2 does everything big. It’s a 6.1 Android mega-phone with a whopping 4050mAh battery in the relative back, making it potentially the longest lasting smartphone to date. For perspective, the T-Mobile Galaxy Note 2 includes a 3200mAh battery — nearly 1000 mAh significantly less than the Mate 2 — also it lasted 11 hours during our testing. The Mate 2 doesn’t skimp on optics either: the front-facing camera’s 5MP sensor took excellent selfies. Throw in 4G LTE support and a March arrival to the U.S. smartphone market, and you’ve got a large device with big features that’ll be a large problem for your competition.
Huawei has made a decision to opt from the home-grown K3V2 chipset because of this latest iteration, taking a Snapdragon 400 SoC instead. Imaging has been upgraded aswell, with the Mate 2 sporting a 13MP Sony-made primary cam and a 5MP front-facer.
The Mate 2 features 2GB of RAM also, 16GB of internal storage, microSD expansion of to 32GB up, plus a couple of cameras — 5 megapixels f/2.4 on leading and 13 megapixels, f/2.0 on the relative back. That is all tucked in the familiar 202g, 9.5mm-thick body, which feels nice given the solid frame and slightly slimmer screen bezel rather, though we’re not too keen on the glossiness on the white Mate 2’s removable back cover (for usage of the SIM slot and microSD slot). On the program side, there’s Huawei’s Emotion UI 2.0 running together with Android 4.3, so users will reap the benefits of features optimized for single-hand usage — especially calling keypad that squashes itself to 1 side, based on your tilt. You obtain handy floating widgets like calculator also, calendar, messages and notes to be on top of other apps.
- Dimensions: 161 x 84.7 x 9.5mm, 202 g
- Display: 6.1″ eHD (1280 x 720) IPS display, 241ppi
- Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 400; quad-core Cortex-A7 at 1.6GHz, Adreno 306 GPU, 2GB RAM
- OS: Android 4.3 Jelly Bean
- Camera: 13 MP, HDR, autofocus, LED flash, 5 MP front-facing
- Video camera: 1080p video capture @ 30fps
- Storage: 16GB built-in, microSD card slot with support of up to 64GB
- Connectivity: A-GPS+GLONASS, WLAN (2.4/5Ghz) a/b/g/n, USB Host, Bluetooth 4.0 LE
- Battery: 4,050 mAh
- Misc: FM Radio, built-in accelerometer, multi-touch input, proximity sensor
- Colors: Crystal Black, Pure White
Follow it all at CES 2014 on Gizmantra